Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Care Bears: Daydreams and Enchillada Pizza

It doesn't happen often but one night I found myself home alone and wondering what was for dinner. Tah dah! My good friend showed up with a homemade chimichanga. It was so good, naturally I asked for the recipe. The best thing about this recipe is that it gives you different meals for a couple of nights with very little effort. Start with Hawaiian Crockpot Pork and Sweet Potatoes:


2 lbs pork tenderloin
1 can 20 oz. crushed pineapple
1/4 c honey
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/3 c brown sugar (I usually reduce this to 2-3 TBS)
2 medium sweet potatoes

Place pork in crockpot. Combine crushed pineapple, honey, vinegar, and brown sugar. Pour over pork. Put washed, whole sweet potatoes, with skins, on top. Cover and cook 10 hours on low. After cooking, cut up sweet potatoes and gently pull apart pork. Spoon sauce over meat and sweet potatoes. Serve on rice.

Next for the Oven-Baked Chimichangas:

Mix left over pork, 1 can pinto beans, 1 8oz jar salsa, 1 small can diced green chiles, and some grated cheese together. (I also mix in the left over rice and sweet potatoes)
Melt some butter and brush over one side of the tortillas. Place butter side down and spoon mixture onto tortillas. Fold in sides and roll. Place in casserole dish. Top with more grated cheese and bake 20-30 minutes, until they look crispy and a tiny bit brown. Serve with quinoa (honestly, I don't know what this is), sour cream and guacamole.

So, those are the original recipes; any guess as to how I topped my pizza? :D Sure enough, we had Hawaiian Crockpot Pork last night. I mashed up the sweet potatoes and mixed it and the left over rice together with the pork. Instead of salsa, I used enchilada sauce. This was all mixed up and spread on my pizza crust (Jiffy this time). I then sprinkled some beans, olives, and cheddar cheese on top. After it was baked we topped it with lettuces, tomato, and avocado.  And I still have plenty to make my chimichangas tomorrow.

Now, sadly, this wasn't as good as I had hoped, but I think it could be! Next time, rather than mixing my enchilada sauce into the meat to begin with, I will actually spread it on like a sauce and mix the salsa with the pork like the recipe called for. And while I like the sweet potato in the chimichanga, they kinda diluted the enchilada flavor on the pizza. I  think the rice and beans did the same. So, if you are going to try this, use the enchilada sauce as the pizza sauce, top with left over pork mixed with salsa, olives if you like them, cheese, and if you liked the tomatoes cooked put them on now too. Once done, lettuce, tomato (if you prefer it cold), and avocado (or guacamole). I would also add some sour cream next time (I didn't have any tonight). Of course if you want to toss on the rice and beans, please do! They didn't ruin it and they are healthy for you. Well, there you go. Good luck and enjoy!!

In parting, a kind thought from the Care Bears tonight: "Making a friend is very simple; being a friend is simple, too!"

See you next Pizza and Movie Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment