Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Kung Fu Panda

Everybody blogs. Jim has his pancakes. Aubrie has her photos. Tanya has her crafts. Mir has her, well, I think Mir has a blog for just about everything, but my favorite is her food. I vowed never to blog. But after watching Julie and Julia I longed to have a purpose. I know, it sounds silly, I have a purpose to blog about. My kids!! And boy do they ever keep me busy. I didn't want to blog about them. I do my best to keep them off the internet. Nothing else moved me enough to blog about it. No, "moved me" isn't the right expression. Tons of things "move me:" Tai Chi, hand-made greeting cards, scrapbooking, sewing, reading. I love these things and find them very relaxing, when I get the chance to do them. But nothing said, "blog me!" until tonight.

Every Friday night we have Pizza and Movie night. The kids look forward it to all week. We visit the Library, Redbox, or neighbor's house to pick out a movie a day or two before. I pick up a frozen pizza or sometimes we splurge and get delivery. Then a few weeks ago, I'm walking the frozen pizza isle and thinking, "Man! Frozen pizzas are expensive and I still have to cook it!" So I leave the frozen pizza isle thinking I'll just order out this week when I pass a jiffy pizza crust mix. It's like $0.80 or something and I'm thinking I already have spaghetti sauce in my fridge, I could get some ham in the deli meats and can of pineapple. TahDah! I just made my own pizza for about $3.00 and it had all the pineapple I could squeeze on. The next week I picked up a box of Bisquick for a crust, knowing I could use it for several weeks, and made a BBQ chicken pizza with all the pineapple I could squeeze on it. I even used the same can of pineapple from the previous week. That one was such a success I did it again last week. I discovered I like making my own pizzas! And the possibilities are endless.


So, what was so special about tonight? Well as soon as I figure out how to post a picture, you'll see! Chicken Spinach Alfredo. Oh ya! And I have enough alfredo for pasta tomorrow, left over spinach to have salads for a few meals, and I only used one Chicken breast from my freezer. Really, it's like it cost me nothing because I already needed all that for other meals. Sure beats $7 frozen or $15 delivered!


Making my own pizza, however, has made me realize that I left a few of my can't-live-without kitchen tools in storage. I have my chopper! and my round stone! But I don't have my pizza cutter or my rolling pin. I guess I'll have to make a trip out to the storage unit this week.

The recipe for this Chicken Spinach Alfredo Pizza:
2 cups bisquick
just enough water to moisten it into a dough
1/4 - 1/2 cup Alfredo sauce
1 chicken breast
Chopped Spinach - I used a ton!
a little diced onion
4 minced baby carrots
2 slices bacon
sprinkle the top with a little mozzerella cheese.
Bake at 375 for 23 minutes.

And, since it is Pizza and MOVIE night, I'll include a great quote from the movie of the week, "Kung Fu Panda."

"There is no secret ingredient. It's just you."

3 comments:

  1. love the post. The pizza sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papa Murphy's also sells blank crust dough for like a buck fifty or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only thing that beats a frugal meal is a TASTY frugal meal... sound yummy :)

    ReplyDelete