Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

Indian in the Cupboard? No. Tuna in the cupboard!

It wasn't that I forgot about pizza and movie night, I just didn't think about what kind of pizza to make. So when I picked up a movie at the library, Indian in the Cupboard, it made me wonder what was in my cupboard that I could put on a pizza. The answer? Tuna. Isn't it amazing that sometimes the best meals are the ones with the least planning?

Now, I didn't think that tuna sounded very good on a pizza but I got on the internet and was very surprised at the number of tuna pizza recipes I found. One that sounded really good called for artichokes and feta. YUM!! Sadly I didn't have those, but I used the infused oil from that recipe with some ideas from another and managed to throw together what I think was the best pizza we've had yet (well, next to BBQ chicken with pineapple, because you just can't get better than BBQ chicken with pineapple)!

As I was getting out a bowl to mix up some pizza crust and get this pizza started, I saw the half loaf of Garlic Parmesan French bread left over from last night's spaghetti dinner. An epiphany turned that left over bread into really good individual pizzas (and used up my leftovers!). I sliced up the bread and cut 1/2 an onion while I was heating some olive oil. Using my Pampered Chef garlic press (I love this thing!) I squeezed some garlic into the oil and added the onion. The artichoke and feta recipe infused their oil with garlic and I thought adding the onion would make it that much better, plus cook my onions because I don't like crunchy onion. Topped with flaked tuna, frozen peas, red peppers, and some mozzarella, these little pizzas were VERY good!

Individual Tuna Pizza
Garlic Parmesan French Bread, sliced (or use a pizza crust for a full size pizza
1 can tuna drained
1/2 onion, cut in half and sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 red bell pepper, sliced
3 TBS olive oil
1 garlic clove
Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven to 450 °F. Place bread on baking sheet. 
Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions. Sauté for about 1 minute (do not burn
Brush garlic infused oil over bread. Top with flaked tuna, red peppers, cooked onion, peas, and mozzarella cheese.
Bake about 8 minutes (longer if using raw pizza dough). Enjoy!

And from Indian in the Cupboard, "Yes. I am [real]. Are you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment